Monday, April 18, 2011

Wikis, Flickr, and other things

I was totally impressed with the Wiki concept. Of course I had heard of Wikis, but didn't have a clue what they were. I was familiar with Wikipedia and knew that content on that site is added by users, but didn't really make the connection between the two.

My family and I are currently in the midst of a situation where communication is crucial and emails are flying thick and fast. Not to mention all of the phone calls. It's difficult to keep up with them all. I'm going to suggest a Wiki to my brothers as a possible solution. Thank you, 23 Things Team!

I've just completed my "Flickr Thing". It was fairly easy to use although I did experience some frustration. When I was adding captions to the photos that I uploaded to the site, I found that the "Save" button kept disappearing on me and it took me quite awhile to figure out a work-around. My other complaint is that, after alot of experimenting, I realized that photos appear in a set in the reverse order in which they are uploaded. And I couldn't find a way to re-order the photos after they were saved. Not great because it's important that the set I created be viewed in a specific order, especially if viewed as a slideshow. But I got the job done.

You've probably realized by now that I'm as much about having fun as I am about learning new skills with "23 Things". My Flickr project was no exception. So, I'd like to introduce you to Vince:


Most people don't realize that the Travelocity Gnome has a brother (Vincent), and that he lives in Saskatchewan. But it's true. And while his more famous sibling is known as a globe trotter, Vincent is a bit shy and prefers to explore interesting destinations closer to home. I've posted some photos of one of his daytrips on Flickr. Please enjoy!



Update on Activity of Local Library Ghost    

As recently reported by one of our Caretakers....

This gentleman is a been employed as a caretaker in this building for many years and as become familiar with the strange sounds the eminate from the stacks late at night when the Library is cloaked in darkness. He and his colleagues also commonly experience chilling draughts and the sensation of being touched by invisible hands. He says it makes the hair stand up on the back of his neck, but he has become accustomed to these occurances over the years and has overcome the urge to flee when they happen. As previously noted, paranormal activity in this Branch has always been confined to the stacks. However, it seems to be explanding. Caretakers have reported that doors on the main floor have begun to inexplicably open and close by themselves and some individuals have had the sensation of being pushed or having another body brush past them when they are all alone in the staff work area.

Just a theory....perhaps all of this new activity can be attributed to the fact that certain Library staff have recently become fascinated by the possibility that our Branch may be inhabited by spirits of those who have passed on in a nearby medical facility. Maybe they are trying to convey that, yes, they really do exist! As I said...just a theory.

 
BOO!

2 comments:

  1. Is it possible Vincent has been sneaking out at night? He looks as though local sites agree with him and perhaps he's decided to try a little night travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I really like the idea you had about blogging about library ghosts and not just the 23 things.

    I also wanted to ask if you've looked into Skype? It'a a free computer program that lets you video phone anyone else with Skype and you can conference call with more than one person (audio only though). I found it invaluable when my husband and I were living in different provences. Just look it up in Google and download if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete