Monday, March 7, 2011

Working to Catch Up

Yes, I've been a bit slow to begin, but I hope to make up for lost time.

I signed up for "23 Things" because, while far from being a techie, I do love my computer and I am fascinated by new technology. And, well, in my life-away-from-work, I have little time to explore and learn about what's out there. Would you believe my 25 year old niece just taught me how to send text messages about a month ago? Always wanted to learn...never had the time.

My first project was, of course, setting up my iGoogle page. I found many useful gadgets that may be handy tools on the job. And some fun stuff, too. I love my virtual hamster, but I'm thinking of setting him free. It drives me crazy that the poor little guy is confined to a 2-inch square cage on my desktop. And I'm forever forgetting to feed him! I guess I don't "get" virtual pets. Oh well.

And now for some fun! As an after-hours denizen of an often silent, sometimes eerie U of S Library branch, I've developed an interest in other, less worldly, creatures who may choose to call Libraries home. It's no secret amongst the night-time workers in this building that strange things have been known to happen when the journal stacks are quiet and few witnesses are about. I began to wonder....


To my delight, I have discovered that Library Ghosts are not uncommon. Some are even quite famous. For instance, do you recall the 1984 hit movie "Ghostbusters" starring Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray? The very first ghost they encounter is none other than the deceased New York City librarian Eleanor Twitty, an odd little ghost with an inclination to make piles books in mid air...


...and a tendency to become a bit grumpy when the stacks in disarray!


For for the next few weeks, as I muddle my way through the remainder of my 23 adventures, please join me in a bit scary good fun as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment